Sunday, July 12, 2009

Michael O'Laughlin's Monthly Message - July 2009

Dear Family, Friends, and Supporters:

Welcome to my Monthly Message for July 2009!

This month is the two-year anniversary of me writing these Monthly Messages. Part of me can’t believe two years has gone by, and part of me remembers every agonizing minute. However, this month, I have some good news to report. The United States Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit reversed my conviction, and said I am innocent. It’s a pretty big deal in the world of justice, because the 1st Circuit very seldom grants Habeas relief in a criminal conviction. Although, I can’t get too excited because at the request of D.A. Capeless, the Attorney General has filed a petition En Banc, in hopes that the remaining judges will disagree with the decision by the panel and reinstate my conviction. Only time will tell if personal politics goes all the way up to the Federal Court of Appeals. Regardless of that fact, I will always be grateful for the judges who saw through the corruption and applied the law correctly to uphold the truth. There are not many who have the integrity to do that. Plus, I believe this never would have happened without “divine intervention”.

Now comes the hard part – waiting. I was so surprised by this decision that I have been an emotional wreck since my lawyer told me on the morning of June 11, 2009. Hopefully, the next bit of good news I receive is that the court denies the Attorney General’s petition for the En Banc hearing. Then, I would only have one hurdle left which would be the United States Supreme Court. I never thought in a million years my case would become this exciting.

Another thing I know to be true is none of this would be possible without all of your prayers. I want to thank everyone so much for keeping me in your prayers and sending out positive energy all these years. I will never forget everyone’s dedication, and I will be forever grateful. Please keep praying!

Every July brings a “bit of special celebration” for me and that’s because it is my youngest daughter’s birthday. Happy Birthday! I love you! Most of you don’t realize that the decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals (if it stands) has another bonus feature. I will be able to keep my parental rights as a father! Yeah, pretty amazing timing. Otherwise, I will lose my parental rights too. By the way, those of you who sent me Father’s Day cards, bless your heart – that was extremely thoughtful.

Okay, turning to food for a moment. I know, who would have thought my conversation would turn to food, but I have on another episode of “Spain on the Road Again” on PBS with Gwyneth Paltrow, Claudia Bassols, Mario Bateli, and a New York food critic named Pittman. The way they enjoy food (without having been in prison) has given me a new found respect for people who truly enjoy food. What a blessing it will be if I’m given the chance to eat food that is real and healthy again. I know one thing – I will never take anything for granted again, and I’m not just talking about my freedom or food either.

On a sad note, Farrah Fawcett didn’t win her battle against cancer. It seems the old saying about celebrities passing on in “threes” seems to be true since we lost Ed McMahon and Michael Jackson too. Let’s remember their families in our prayers.

My movie recommendation is actually somewhat current. The prison gave us a newly released movie for the Fourth of July. It was called “Taken” with Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, and Katie Cassidy. If you like non-stop action, this movie is unbelievable. Also, I think every seventeen year old girl should have to watch this movie. This really happens in the world, and they need to be aware of it. Even though most fathers like myself would give their life for their daughter. We don’t all have the talents or abilities Liam Neeson portrayed in the movie. I think this movie will make young girls think twice about running off to spring break or disobeying their parents when they want to go out of the country. Sometimes the truth hurts.

My profound statement is very simple but true: “The mind authenticates words, but the heart translates love”. (Valentine)

Until next month, remember: “The key to the mysteries of life hide in the pain of our most difficult experiences”.

Love and Light to All

Michael

No comments: